Maxim Integrated 6-Channel High-Brightness LED Driver | New Product BriefJanuary 15, 2020 by Mouser Electronics
This New Product Brief (NPB) is part of a video series highlighting the features, applications, and technical specs of newly-released products.
Maxim Integrated 6-Channel High-Brightness LED Driver
Maxim Integrated’s MAX20056B is a 6-channel high-brightness LED driver providing high efficiency and robust performance for automotive displays. The MAX20056B integrates a current-mode switching DC-DC controller to drive the LED strings and operates from a wide 4.5V to 42V input, with tolerance to 52V load dump transients.
The controller supports boost, SEPIC, or coupled-inductor buck-boost topologies with a 400kHz to 2.2MHz programmable switching frequency, with an integrated spread spectrum mode reducing EMI. The six current sinks of the MAX20056B can be set from 20mA to 120mA, and the driver supports phase-shifted dimming for lower ripple and audible noise as well as PWM dimming.
This allows sinks to be used in parallel for driving higher current strings and provides a dimming ratio up to 10,000:1.
- 4.5V to 42V operating voltage range
- Tolerant to 52V load-dump transients
- Integrated current-mode switching DC-DC controller
- Supports boost, SEPIC, or coupled-inductor buck-boost topologies
- 400kHz to 2.2MHz programmable switching frequency
- Integrated ±6% spread spectrum mode reduces EMI
- 6x current sinks
- Single resistor sets all sinks from 20mA to 120mA
- Phase-Shift Dimming
- Strings turned on at separate times
- Reduces input and output ripple and audible noise
- PWM Dimming
- Allows parallel connection of current sinks for >120mA per string
- Dimming ratio of 10,000:1 at 200Hz
New Industry Products are a form of content that allows industry partners to share useful news, messages, and technology with All About Circuits readers in a way editorial content is not well suited to. All New Industry Products are subject to strict editorial guidelines with the intention of offering readers useful news, technical expertise, or stories. The viewpoints and opinions expressed in New Industry Products are those of the partner and not necessarily those of All About Circuits or its writers.