MAXIM INTEGRATED MAX17320 ModelGauge m5 EZ Fuel Gauge | New Product BriefFebruary 27, 2021 by Mouser Electronics
This New Product Brief (NPB) is part of a video series highlighting the features, applications, and technical specs of newly-released products.
MAXIM INTEGRATED MAX17320 ModelGauge m5 EZ Fuel Gauge
Maxim Integrated’s MAX17320 ModelGauge m5 EZ Fuel Gauge is a pack-side fuel gauge IC with built-in battery health, safety, protection, and authentication functions for 2 to 4 series lithium-ion or lithium polymer batteries.
The IC monitors the voltage, current, temperature, and state of the battery and provides cell balancing with internal FETs, and has a very low quiescent current. It includes internal self-discharge detection and protection functions to prolong the life of the battery and prevent safety issues. It uses Maxim’s ModelGauge m5 algorithm for industry-leading fuel gauge accuracy, with automatic compensation for cell aging, temperature, and discharge rate.
To prevent cloning, the MAX17320 has integrated SHA-256 authentication with a 160-bit secret key and unique 64-bit ID. It also has a configurable always-on LDO to power small critical system-side loads without overloading the cells.
- Monitors voltage, current, temperature, and state of the battery
- Cell balancing with internal FETs
- IQ: 38µA Active, FETs enabled
- Battery internal self-discharge detection
- Programmable safety/protection
- Prolongs the life of the battery
- Prevents safety problems
- ModelGauge m5 EZ Algorithm: industry-leading fuel gauge accuracy
- Short-term accuracy/linearity of coulomb counter
- Long-term stability of voltage-based fuel gauge
- SHA-256 authentication to prevent cloning
- 160-bit secrete key
- 64-bit unique ID
- Configurable Always-On LDO
- Power small critical, system-side loads without overloading the cells even under fault conditions
Visit Mouser.com for more information.
New Industry Products are a form of content that allows industry partners to share useful news, messages, and technology with All About Circuits readers in a way editorial content is not well suited to. All New Industry Products are subject to strict editorial guidelines with the intention of offering readers useful news, technical expertise, or stories. The viewpoints and opinions expressed in New Industry Products are those of the partner and not necessarily those of All About Circuits or its writers.