Choosing the right programmable power supply for your test system or application can feel overwhelming if you are not sure of all the considerations involved. This book by EA ElektroAutomatik (EA) will guide you through the process of selecting a DC power supply that is right for your application and paired with how you intend to use it.
Defining the power requirements for your application is the first place to start, but this is only the beginning of the process. Once you know the voltages and currents that you need, you must determine how you will power your source and how you intend to control it. So, before you issue a purchase order, you would be wise to consider the following questions:
- What output do I need from my power supply?
- What should I know about line/load regulation?
- Should I consider a bidirectional power supply?
- What input am I going to give my power supply?
- Where am I going to use my power supply?
- How do I plan on controlling my power supply?