Security ICs with ChipDNA Technology from Maxim IntegratedAugust 30, 2020 by Future Electronics
DeepCover™ embedded security solutions cloak sensitive data under multiple layers of advanced physical security to provide the most secure key storage possible.
The DeepCover Secure Authenticator (DS28E15) combines crypto-strong bidirectional secure challenge-andresponse authentication functionality with an implementation based on the FIPS 180-3-specified Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-256). A 512-bit user-programmable EEPROM array provides nonvolatile storage of application data. Additional protected memory holds a read-protected secret for SHA-256 operations and settings for memory protection control.
Each device has its own guaranteed unique 64-bit ROM identification number (ROM ID) that is factory programmed into the chip. This unique ROM ID is used as a fundamental input parameter for cryptographic operations and also serves as an electronic serial number within the application. A bidirectional security model enables two-way authentication between a host system and slave-embedded DS28E15.
Slave-to-host authentication is used by a host system to securely validate that an attached or embedded DS28E15 is authentic. Host-to-slave authentication is used to protect DS28E15 user memory from being modified by an unauthentic host. The DS28E15 communicates over the single-contact 1-WireM bus at overdrive speed. The communication follows the 1-Wire protocol with the ROM ID acting as node address in the case of a multidevice 1-Wire network.
- Authentication of Consumables
- Secure Feature Control
Benefits and Features
- 512-Bit EEPROM with SHA-256 Authentication for Reads and Writes
- Symmetric-Key-Based Bidirectional Secure Authentication Model Based on SHA-256
- Strong Authentication with a High-Bit-Count User Programmable Secret and Input Challenge
- 512 Bits of User EEPROM Partitioned Into Two Pages of 256 Bits
- User-Programmable and Irreversible EEPROM Protection Modes Including Authentication, Write and Read Protect, and OTP/EPROM Emulation
- Unique Factory-Programmed, 64-Bit Identification Number
- Minimalist 1-Wire Interface Lowers Cost and Interface Complexity
- Reduces Control, Address, Data, Power, and Programming Signals to a Single Data Pin
- ±8kV HBM ESD Protection (typ)
- 2-Pin SFN, 6-Pin TDFN-EP, and 6-Pin TSOC Packages
- Operating Range: 3.3V ±10%, -40°C to +85°C