MAX14906: Quad-Channel Driver Configurable as DI or DOAugust 30, 2020 by Maxim Integrated
The MAX14906 is a robust, compact, fully configurable multi-channel DIO with SafeDemag.
The MAX14906 is an IEC 61131-2 compliant, high-speed, four-channel industrial digital output, digital input device that can be configured on a per-channel basis as a high-side (HS) switch, push-pull (PP) driver, or a Type 1 and 3, or Type 2 digital input. The MAX14906 is specified for operation with a supply voltage up to 40V and is tolerant to 65V.
The high-side switch current limiting is settable from 130mA to 1.2A with the option of 2x load inrush current. The high-side driver on-resistance is 120mΩ (typ) at 25°C ambient temperature. Optional push-pull operation allows high speed driving of cables and fast discharge of load capacitance. For digital input operation, current sinks for 2.3mA (Type 1 and 3) or 7mA (Type 2) are provided.
The SPI interface has a built-in chip addressing decoder, allowing communication with multiple MAX14906 devices utilizing a shared SPI with a common chip select active-low CS. The SPI interface provides flexibility for global and per-channel configuration and diagnostics, including supply overvoltage and undervoltage detection, wire-break or open-wire detection, thermal overload and current limit reporting, and more. For high-speed operation, the digital input and output states can be monitored and changed directly using pins for increased system speed and throughput.
Open-wire detection monitors open-wire/open-load conditions with switches in the off state. LED drivers provide indication of per-channel fault, status, and supply undervoltage conditions. Internal active clamps allow for fast turn-off of inductive loads. Integrated line-to-ground and line-to-line surge protection only requires a TVS on VDD.
The MAX14906 is available in a compact 48-pin 7mm x 7mm QFN package.
Figure 1. MAX14906 functional diagram
- Per-Channel Configurability Enables Wide Range of Applications
- Digital Output: High-Side (HS) Switch or Push-Pull (PP) Driver
- Digital Input: Software Selectable Type 1 and 3, or Type 2
- Current Limit Settable from 130mA to 1.2A
- Serial (SPI) or Direct Operation Using Pins
- Independent Channel Powering
- Fault Tolerant with Built-In Diagnostics
- Per-Channel Diagnostics
- Integrated Voltage Supply Monitoring and Short-to-VDD Detection
- Open-Wire/Open-Load Detection
- Thermal Shutdown Protection
- Watchdog Timer
- 5-Bit CRC Code Generation and Checking for SPI Error Detection
- High Integration Reduces BOM Count and PCB Space
- Integrated LDO Compatible with 5V Logic Devices
- Internal Active Clamps for Fast Inductive Load Turn-Off
- 0.6μs (typ) DO and 1μs (typ) DI Propagation Delays
- Addressable SPI
- 7mm x 7mm TQFN Package
- Reduced Power and Heat Dissipation
- Low RDSON for High-Side Switches, 120mΩ (typ)
- Accurate Output Current Limiting
- Accurate Input Current Sinks, Type 1 and 3, or Type 2
- Robust Design
- 10V to 40V Operating Supply Range, 65V Tolerant
- SafeDemagTM Allows Fast Turn-Off of Unlimited Inductance
- ±16kV Air-Gap ESD and ±8kV Contact ESD
- ±1kV Surge Tolerant Using TVS Protection on VDD to GND
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature
- Industrial Digital Output and Input Module
- Configurable Digital Input/Output
- Motor Control
- PLC Systems
- Distributed Control Systems (DCS)