D6T MEMS Thermal SensorsAugust 17, 2020 by Omron Electronic Components
OMRON's unique MEMS technology allows combining thermopile elements and ASICs into one package resulting in an ultra-compact footprint.
High Sensitivity Enables Detection of Stationary Human Presence
- OMRON’s unique MEMS and ASIC technology achieve a high SNR (except for the D6T-32L-01A).
- Superior noise immunity with a digital output.
- High-precision area temperature detection with low cross-talk field of view characteristics.
High Accuracy, Smaller Footprint, Easy to Work With
OMRON's unique MEMS technology allows combining thermopile elements and ASICs into one package resulting to ultra-compact footprint.
MEMS Thermal (IR*1 sensor) measures the surface temperature of objects without touching them when the thermopile element absorbs the amount of radiant energy from the object.
- Low noise: Achieving the highest level of SNR*2 in the world*3
- Easy connection: Converts sensor signal to digital temperature output allowing easy use of microcontroller
- Compact size: Space-saving design, well-suited for embedded applications
*1. IR: Infrared Ray
*2. SNR: Signal-to-Noise Ratio. Compares the level of a signal to the level of background noise
*3. As of December 2017, according to OMRON research
Cross-Section View of D6T Sensor
D6T series sensors can detect human presence by sensing changes in human body temperature with respect to the surrounding temperature.
- Air conditioners
- Lighting systems
- Security systems
- Nursing care and monitoring equipment
D6T series sensors can detect the slightest temperature changes that can be used in variety of applications including energy-efficient home appliances and security systems. The sensors can also be used in the application fields of HEMS (Home Energy Management System) and BEMS (Building Energy Management System).
Recommended type: D6T-44L-06 (4×4−element / viewing angle: X=44.2 Y=45.7° / Object temperature range: 0 – 50°C)
D6T sensors can detect objects by pinpointing the target object temperature.
- Industrial equipment
- Non-contact thermometers
- Microwave ovens
- IH cooking heaters
- Data centers
D6T sensors let you measure temperature without the need to physically touch the object. This allows measuring temperature where it was not possible for contact thermal sensors due to space shortage. The sensors can be used in a wide range of applications including FEMS (Factory Energy Management System).
Comparison with Pyroelectric Sensor
Both the pyroelectric sensor and non-contact MEMS thermal sensor can detect even the slightest amount of radiant energy from objects such as infrared radiation and convert them into temperature readings. However, unlike pyroelectric sensor that relies on motion detection, non-contact MEMS thermal sensor is able to detect the presence of stationary humans (or objects).
MEMS Thermal Sensor (Thermopile)
- Converts temperature readings by “continuously detecting the temperature of radiant energy” in its field of view
- Able to detect both stationary and motion state of humans (objects)
- Converts temperature readings only when detecting “temperature changes in the radiant energy” in its field of view
- Unable to detect stationary human (object) presence