Design Kit: 15 kW, Three-phase Vienna Rectifier with Low-Cost Mixed-Signal control for PFCAugust 30, 2020 by STMicroelectronics
This reference design represents a complete solution for high power three-phase AC/DC rectifier applications based on the Vienna topology.
It features mixed-signal control, with the STNRG388A controller providing digital output voltage regulation, and dedicated analog circuitry providing high bandwidth continuous conduction mode (CCM) current regulation for maximum power quality in terms of total harmonic distortion (THD) and power factor (PF).
The high switching frequency of the SiC MOSFETs (70 kHz) and the multilevel structure allow nearly 99% efficiency as well as the optimization of passive power components in terms of size and cost.
This high-efficiency Vienna rectifier is designed for several end applications such as electric vehicle (EV) and industrial battery chargers, and industrial equipment requiring very high PF and low THD.
- 3-phase, 3-level AC/DC power converter
- Rated nominal output DC voltage: 800 VDC
- Rated nominal input AC voltage: 400 VAC at 50 Hz
- Nominal output power AC/DC: 15 kW
- Power factor, PF>0.99
- Inrush current control and soft start-up
- THD lower than 5% at nominal operation
- Power section based on SiC MOSFETs and diodes:
- High-frequency operation (70 kHz)
- High peak efficiency greater than 98%
- Passive element weight and size reduction
- Control section based on programmable STNRG388A digital controller
- Low-cost mixed-signal control
- Overcurrent and overvoltage protection