Is an RTC Module Timing Solution Right for Your Project?
White Paper Overview
Timing solutions are critical to today’s electronics. Many engineers rely on the internal real-time clock (RTC) functionality that comes embedded in microcontroller units (MCUs) and system on chips (SoCs). Those functions rely on crystal, crystal oscillator (XO), and temperature compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) options as external frequency sources that translate into system clocks, which then determine the accuracy of the RTC function. In some cases, it may be more beneficial to use RTC module timing solutions instead.
This paper lays out the barriers and benefits of various timing solutions, and it offers guidance on when/why an RTC module timing solution may be a better choice for your designs. It also outlines the specific benefits of choosing Epson RTC module timing solutions.
In this paper you will learn about:
- The criticality of timing solutions
- The capability range of common timing solutions, including:
- Crystal oscillators
- Temperature compensated crystal oscillators
- Real-time clock modules
- The pros and cons of switching to RTC modules
- What sets Epson RTC module timing solutions apart