Microchip’s New High-Speed SQI Interface Superflash Memory4 years ago by Tim Youngblood
The Microchip Technology Inc. introduced today their 3V 16-Mbit, 32-Mbit, and 64-Mbit Serial Quad I/OTM (SQITM interface) Interface SuperFlash® Memory Family.
New NOR Flash Memory Devices Enable XIP Capability with The World’s Lowest Power Consumption and World’s Fastest Read/Write Time.
The Microchip Technology Inc. introduced their 3V 16-Mbit, 32-Mbit and 64-Mbit Serial Quad I/OTM (SQITM interface) Interface SuperFlash® Memory Family - the SST26VF. This SQI interface series provides cost savings due to its very fast erase times and low-power usage.
“The new SST26VF family provides designers with the ideal Flash memory devices for embedded designs” said Randy Drwinga, vice president of Microchip’s Memory Products Division.
With duration of 35ms for its complete chip erase operation, SST26VF is about 400 times faster than any other competitors. It has a high-speed 104 MHz quad-bit address and data multiplex I/O serial interface, which allows for high data throughput in a small package. This interface also enables low-latency execute-in-place (XIP) capability with minimal processor buffer memory.
What makes these SST26VF devices more excellent for industries is its superior reliability and endurance of over 100,000 erase/write cycles. It also gives protection against any misuse or unrecognizable altering.
Why It Matters:
Faster speed and bigger storage in the flash memory world has always meant more money and more power consumption. If the newest chip can deliver higher speeds at lower cost with the added bonus of protecting against unwanted altering of data, it will be a tremendous asset to computing and mobile devices.
- Optimum Voltage Range: 2.7 - 3.6V
- Typical Standby Current Consumption: 15 μA @ 104 Mhz, Typical Active Read Current: 15 mA
- Greater than 100 years data retention
- Maximum Clock Frequency: 104 MHz
- Industrial Temperature Range: -40°C to +85°C
256 Bytes per page; Fast Page Program time in 1ms (typical)
Software Reset (RST) Mode
Security ID: One-Time Programmable (OTP) 256 bit
- 64 bit factory-programmed unique ID
- 192 bit user-programmable
Serial Interface Architecture
- Nibble-wide multiplexed I/O’s with SPI-like serial command structure (Mode 0 and Mode 3)
- Single-bit, SPI backwards compatible (High-Speed Read and JEDEC-compliant ID Read)
Fast Erase: Chip-Erase time: 35 ms (typical) ; Sector-/Block-Erase time: 18 ms (typical)
Flexible Erase Capability: Uniform 4 KByte sectors; Four 8 KByte top and bottom parameter overlay blocks; One 32 Kbyte top and bottom overlay block; Uniform 64 KByte overlay blocks
Software Write Protection:
- Individual Block-Locking: 64 KByte blocks, two 32 KByte blocks, and eight 8 KByte parameter blocks
Burst Modes: Continuous linear burst; 8/16/32/64 Byte linear burst with wrap-around
- 8-contact WDFN (6mm x 5mm); 8-lead SOIC (200 mil); 16-lead SOIC (300 mil); 24-ball TBGA (6mm x 8mm)
Designed for Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) Compliance
Due to SST26VF’s high performance and other relevant features it is the excellent choice for GPS applications, Bluetooth communication, wireless LAN, medical and many hand-held electronic products.
Pricing and Availability
This three-member “26 Series” SQI interface family is now ready for sampling and mass purchase. Multiple package choices mentioned above are also available along with die and wafer form options. For every 10K-unit volume, the Microchip’s price for the 16-Mbit SST26VF016B starts at $0.90 each, the 32-Mbit SST26VF032B starts at $1.17 each, and the 64- Mbit SST26VF064B starts at $1.84 each. Please visit Microchip - In Production for further details including the devices’ pricing and samples; or directly go to microhipDIRECT.
- Diodes Incorporated Announces Versatile New Boost Controller for LED/LCD Display Applications
- Build a LaunchPad-Controlled Clock with Temperature and Humidity Meter
- Resolving the Signal Part 6: The Effects of Amplifier Noise on Delta-Sigma ADCs
- Resistor Color Code Calculator and Chart (4-band, 5-band or 6-band)